Cupping is the oldest and most globally practiced medical treatment in human history. In the 18th century, doctors widely used cupping to cure common colds and chest infections. The Chinese expanded its utilization to include use in surgery to divert blood flow from surgery site. Traditional Chinese Medicine observed that cupping dispels stagnation of blood and Qi, along with external pathogenic factors that invade the body systems.
Therapeutic Benefits of Cupping
Cupping pulls stagnation out of tissues and brings in to the skin level. The pores expand, discharging some of the waste and toxins, and allow the body’s circulatory and lymphatic systems to properly eliminate waste. In addition, cupping brings fresh oxygenated blood to stagnant areas.
Effects to the Skin
- Blood Circulation: Withdraws stagnant blood from skin and removes toxins
- Skin temperature: Accelerates the secretion of salts, sebaceous matter, and excretion of water.
- Metabolism within the skin tissue: Strengthens the renewing power of the skin and its resistance to various external conditions.
Effects on the Muscles
- Increases blood flow, removes congestion in joints, attachments, and other musculoskeletal structures.
- Suction facilitates the excretion of lactic acids and toxins from within the muscles and surrounding support.
- The cups cause a negative pressure that lifts the muscles upward, increasing space for the underlying structures.
Effect on Circulatory System
- Dramatically improves circulation of blood and lymph making metabolic processes more active within minutes.
- Cleanses the Cardiovascular System so disease doesn’t have a chance to develop. Where disease already exists, cupping cleans the system so it can better fight and recover from the disease.
- Purifies the blood by removing dead debris, increasing red and white blood cell activity, and altering the PH chemistry of the body fluids from acidic to alkaline or neutral.
Effect to the Digestive System
- The stretching actions on the abdominal region, stimulates the inside and walls of the digestive organs, stimulates peristalsis, secretion of digestive fluids.
- The digestive system is affected even during back treatment by stimulating the spinal and autonomic systems.
Effect on the Joints
- The stretching and pulling of the connective structures allow a much greater range of movement. Opening the joint capsule loosens and releases stagnation and stiffness associated with stubborn orthopedic conditions.
- Disorganized fascia structures can be directly restructured to further support the healing process. Cupping increases blood and lymph activity within the joint as well as stimulates activity and the secretion of synovial fluids.
Cupping can feel mildly uncomfortable or deeply pleasurable, depending on the individual. The most common and unfortunate misconception is that the discoloration left by the cups are bruises. The marks are not bruises but instead are stagnant blood coming to the surface from the area of injury. By bringing the old non-circulating, stagnant blood and sticky fluids to the surface, it makes room for healthy free circulation to be restored to the affected area. This allows space for oxygen, living cells, and nutrients to be restored to the affected area, increasing recovery time. The discolorations fade from hours up to 2 weeks depending on the amount of stagnation. The length of time it takes for it to fade indicates the severity and toxicity of the patient’s condition, as well as the patient’s follow-up activities. After treatments, please keep the area covered, avoid excessive heat, chill draft, or exercise for 4-6 hours post treatment, and drink plenty of water. Plan your appointments according to your social schedule if you plan of wearing clothing that exposes your back.
Kayleigh has made a huge difference
in my life this past month. I had never tried acupunctur e before and now, I AM A BELIEVER! Thank you sooo much Kayleigh, I can’t wait to see you again. Thank you for making me feel so much better… “shoulder whisperer” .
Do you have questions about acupuncture or our other services? Fill out the form below and we will get back to you shortly.